Like mushrooms after the rain, grandiose skyscrapers began to grow in many cities of the world, which are bright design solutions that organically combine concrete and glass. It is the building materials that are so in demand at the present time that the silicate industry produces. These include bricks and blocks. In addition to them, this branch of the national economy produces glass and ceramic products.
The silicate industry is an activity in which silicon-containing compounds (mainly sand and clay) are processed. At the same time, their manufacture is based on the use of silicate mixtures, alloys of polysilicates and aluminosilicates. It is this industry that is the main one in the production of household items and utensils in particular. Since ancient times, ceramic utensils have been the basis of home comfort. This trend has continued today. At the same time, dishes not only from clay, but also from porcelain, which is considered the most noble type of ceramics, have become widespread.
Except productionceramic products for tables and interior decorations, the silicate industry produces tiles, tiles, drainage pipes, using clay compounds with various minerals. Common compounds with soda, magnesium, calcium, aluminum.
At the same time, depending on the properties and quality characteristics, all ceramic products can be divided into three types:
- refractory ceramics - a material whose use involves contact with high temperatures (bricks and blocks for stoves, fireplaces);
- ceramics that do not change their quality and properties under the influence of chemical reagents;
- fine ceramics, which includes dishes and household items made from faience and porcelain.
Another very popular material produced by the silicate industry is glass. The main element for the production of raw materials is quartz sand. Depending on the desired result, various mixtures are added to it: soda, limestone, potash, lead oxide, chromium oxide, cob alt oxide, copper oxide, manganese compounds, etc. Currently, there are a huge number of different types of this material.
The silicate industry produces the following types of glass:
- fiberglass - used in aircraft and automotive industries;
- crystal glass - used to make a variety of lenses, as well as decorative dishes, chandeliers;
- fiberglass –a mixture of fiberglass and plastic (this material is widely used in the shipbuilding, aviation and automotive industries);
- colored glass - is the main raw material for the production of colored tableware, stained glass, etc;
- chemical glass - characterized by a high level of refractoriness, which is a priority characteristic for the chemical industry;
- ordinary glass - is a material for the manufacture of window glass, jars, bottles, glasses, etc.;
- quartz - the purest glass that does not contain any impurities (this type is used in laboratories, mercury lamps).
The silicate industry is a branch of the national economy, its weight in the development of all other industries is very large.