Many job seekers are interested in how to turn down an employer after an interview. Such a need arises when a person applied for employment to different companies and several of them agreed at once. The article will tell you how to behave so as not to look ignorant.
How to tactfully turn down a job
Many applicants hope that the company will call, and even then they will talk about the refusal. This option is not the best, because there is a chance of looking like an irresponsible candidate in the eyes of the employer.
You can notify that a vacancy is no longer of interest in different ways:
- on the phone;
- in person;
- in writing.
Whichever one is chosen, it is important to do it tactfully.
To make sure everything goes smoothly, there are certain rules to follow:
- To express sincerelycompany appreciation for the offer.
- Concisely and clearly justify the refusal.
- Express regret for having to resign.
- Wish you success in your search for candidates.
Recommendations will help you no longer worry about how to refuse an employer after an interview. The proposed scheme, if used correctly, will help to remain a decent and tactful person in the eyes of the company.
How to turn down a job offer
The plan of actions described below is quite simple. The main thing is not to ignore the employer and notify him in time so that he continues to search for a suitable candidate.
The rules described below will help you figure out how to refuse an employer after an interview. An example of reasoned answers that will suit any employer is presented below.
We offer 7 important components to follow when meeting in person:
- Express appreciation for your time. Undoubtedly, in this situation, resources were spent on studying the profiles of candidates and the most suitable ones were selected among them. Be sure to thank for this and answer all the questions.
- Never make managers guess about rejection. It is important for the company to know the real reason. Perhaps this will help the organization in the future morebe careful about possible candidates for a certain position.
- When describing the reason for rejection, it is important to be concise and honest. All of the parties to the interaction spent a lot of time, so it is imperative to say the reason.
- The explanation shouldn't take long. It's best to keep it simple, to the point, and admit that you've considered other options as well.
- Being polite is also worth it because if other options do not work, there is a chance to return to this company and be sure that they will be accepted here.
- Try to maintain a good relationship with the employer. It would not be superfluous to wish him all the best. The professional world is not that big. Perhaps in the near future you will have to meet at a conference or somewhere else. If you do not neglect this advice, then you can find useful connections.
- Relevant in this case is the strategy that is compared with a sandwich. It involves first delivering good news, then bad news, and then good news again. This behavior is very effective in dealing with people. It will allow you to appear before other people as a responsible and serious person who conducts business diplomatically.
If you follow these tips, this question will no longer seem so difficult. After a constructive conversation, the employer will have a good impression of the applicant.
How to write a denial
No less often, applicants refuse a certain vacancy in writing. You can email the hiring manager.
Applicants are provided with recommendations on how to properly refuse an employer after an interview in writing. We offer you an example of such text:
I am very grateful that you chose me for the position of _____________. I'm sorry, but I have already found a suitable vacancy in another organization, where absolutely everything suits me at the moment. I refuse your offer. It was a pleasure to meet you and your staff.
Best regards, ___________
What not to do
It is also useful to know what not to do when talking to an employer. Here are some tips for this:
- In no case should you ignore the employer. He has the right to know the decision of the applicant in a timely manner.
- You can not remain silent and not answer the phone. Often job seekers do this because they are embarrassed to admit that they have found a more suitable position or place of work. Some don't know how to turn down an employer after a phone interview, so they don't get in touch.
Ignoring the decision indicates the incorrectness and short-sightedness of the candidate. Applicant data is entered into the database of recruiting agencies. The likelihood that other employers will pay attention to suchcandidate, extremely small.
After personal communication with representatives of companies, information is stored in the database for a certain time. Companies often share applicant data with each other, so it's a good idea to plan your conversation ahead of time.
How to explain the rejection
There are a lot of reasons to refuse the proposed position. Each one is different. It is important to correctly present information in order to leave an opinion about yourself as a respectable person and a competent candidate. The tips below contain reasons for leaving a position that employers will take positively. They will demonstrate how to politely turn down an employer after an interview while maintaining a good relationship.
- The inability to work overtime is the real reason for rejection. Any employer will take it adequately.
- If the salary level is significantly below what the candidate can accept, then this will be a good reason.
- If there is no career prospect, the applicant can refuse the offer without remorse.
- The proposed regime does not always suit applicants. Often when looking for a job, this moment is the main one.
- Although it's tactless to talk about it directly, it happens that at first glance you don't like the company itself or its leader. For this reason, many refuse the vacancy immediately after the interview, but you should not talk about it openly. Better to say another more objectivereason.
In this situation, the main thing is not to ignore the employer and communicate your decision in time.
How to turn down an offer from an employer
No matter in what form the applicant expresses the refusal, it is worth considering in advance how to refuse the employer after the interview. The expert advice below will help you do it competently and tactfully:
- Be as open as possible when speaking. If it's an email, try to phrase it in a way that makes the employer feel like they're being treated with respect when they read it.
- During the dialogue you need to be open. It is important to correctly argue the refusal of a vacancy.
- Completely refrain from negativity in conversation.
- There is nothing wrong with the applicant saying the real reason for the refusal, for example, that it is inconvenient for him to get to work or that he is not satisfied with the salary.
- If you are not satisfied with the functionality, it is important to clearly and clearly explain what the applicant plans to do in a new job.
- Whatever the reason for the refusal, the employer has the right to know it in order not to take the applicant's decision personally.
- It's important to be honest and admit that you are considering multiple positions. Having warned the employer about this, it will be easier to have a conversation later.
If the applicant is honest and frank during a personal conversation, the employer appreciates it very much. Even after the refusal, he will offer to borrowposition if further job searches fail.