The main task of the ventilation system is to provide access and exhaust air, as well as its filtration and temperature control. In order for these tasks to be fully completed, it is necessary to install special equipment, as well as equip the blower system. This involves regular adjustments and preventive inspections. Even if the room uses a natural air intake system, it may still be necessary to periodically clean the air ducts.
Maintenance of the air conditioning and ventilation system is mandatory for both civil and industrial facilities. In this article, we will discuss in detail when this procedure is required, how it is carried out, and also talk about some of itsfeatures.
Reducing the efficiency of the ventilation system
What factors might indicate that air conditioning and ventilation systems need service?
The main features are:
- condensation buildup on bathroom walls and mirrors;
- perceptible air stagnation in residential areas;
- distributing aromas from the kitchen to the living area.
Each of these signs indicates that the ventilation system does not fully provide fresh air. In order to evaluate the draft force in the duct, it is necessary to attach a sheet of paper to the ventilation grille. The operation of the system can be judged by the intensity of the leaf vibrations. The more the sheet moves, the better the air exchange is.
Why is the ventilation system serviced?
Let's take a closer look at this. Maintenance services for ventilation and air conditioning systems are necessary to prevent such negative consequences as:
- blockage at certain intervals of the ventilation passage;
- equipment failure;
- air duct depressurization;
- Reduced equipment efficiency due to clogged filters and other technical components.
It is completely impossible to exclude the possibility of a breakdown, since the danger of equipment failure always exists. Regular maintenance of equipment allows you to reduce it to a minimum.
Such work is carried out 1-2 times a year, but to increase the efficiency of ventilation systems, it is worth carrying out preventive maintenance and inspection once every 2-3 months. Installation and maintenance of air conditioning and ventilation systems should only be carried out by qualified specialists.
Problems solved during preventive examination
This aspect is worth dwelling on in more detail. Independent installation and maintenance of air conditioning systems is acceptable if high-tech equipment is not used in ventilation, as well as a complex layout of ventilation ducts. Maintenance will not cause any special problems if access to the main components of the system is possible even at the design stage of a residential building. If you have equipment that is simple in functionality, such as an exhaust filter or inlet valves with a filter, you can clean it yourself.
In large industrial facilities and in civilian premises such as cafes and restaurants, as well as in monoblock installations in residential buildings, air conditioning maintenance solves the following tasks:
- Periodic inspection of all system components, including fasteners.
- Assessing the tightness of the pads: avoids the penetration of contaminants into the room.
- Checking the condition of the injectors and fan rotor blades.
- Assessment of the condition of filter pads. The amount of work in this case will depend on the type of filter used.The option of a complete replacement of the system is possible.
- Checking the effectiveness of air purification.
- Assessing the performance of all ventilation louvers and valves present in the system.
- Checking the functionality of sensors for monitoring air indicators, also assessing humidity and air temperature.
- Inspection of air ducts and checking fasteners of all suspended ventilation passages.
- Assessment of the tightness of the system, inspection of the internal surface of the air ducts, external supervision, control of the condition of welds along the entire length of the ventilation shafts.
- Maintenance of the supply and exhaust system: testing of the main automation systems and electrical circuits, measuring the voltage in the main components of the system.
- Regular monitoring of compliance of cooling and heating of the air with the values recorded by the equipment.
Assessing the efficiency of the ventilation and air conditioning system
Each organization involved in checking ventilation independently determines the scope of work and regulations. Maintenance of air conditioning systems should be carried out only after you familiarize yourself with the list of services offered by a particular company.
So what do you need to know about this? Maintenance of the air conditioning and ventilation system involves solving a wide range of tasks. In addition to checking the operation of the equipment, it is also necessary to assess the condition of the air conditioners. Much in this case will depend on the chosen type of system. When installing a combined version, when a ducted air conditioner is mounted directlyinto the ventilation shaft, the amount of work will be significantly less than in the case of installing an autonomous split system.
In the latter case, it is necessary to separately maintain the air conditioning and exhaust ventilation ducts. At the same time, the cost of work increases significantly. The price depends not only on the amount of work, but also on their complexity and performance.
Need for disinfection
What is it for? The contract for the maintenance of the ventilation and air conditioning system may include not only adjustment and cleaning, but also the disinfection of individual components of the system. This is required in cases where favorable conditions for the appearance of fungus and mold appear in the system, for example, condensation regularly forms on the evaporator. Due to the dirt settling on a wet surface, mold begins to form. That is why the repair and maintenance of ventilation systems should be aimed not only at troubleshooting, but also at disinfecting devices.
What kind of maintenance is there
What work should be included in the contract for the maintenance of air conditioning systems? These could be:
- preventive control according to the plan;
- diagnostics and repair of equipment inside the system;
- Emergency service.
Also, the contract may stipulate the frequency of such work. It is set depending on the following factors:
- viewair conditioning systems;
- type of equipment used;
- length and performance of the system;
- functional purpose of the room.
It should be borne in mind that the process of maintaining ventilation systems in a private house and in an apartment in a multi-storey building differs significantly.
How is the operation of the air conditioning system checked? Operation and maintenance of the equipment must be carried out in strict accordance with the instructions. Inspection of air conditioning systems should be carried out more often than repair of ventilation systems.
Regulations for the maintenance of air conditioning systems
This aspect needs to be emphasized. So, what kind of work should an air conditioning service mechanic do? The list of services and the frequency of their manifestation is specified in the standard maintenance work schedule. It is installed separately for each specific node - fan, heater, filter elements, dampers, controllers, electrical modules.
After signing the contract for the maintenance of air conditioning systems (OKPD 2 code of these works), qualified specialists can begin to perform work. Each procedure in this case must be reflected in the register of maintenance and repair of the ventilation system. This is the main document that regulates the work.
The whole processmaintenance of air conditioning systems consists of several types of activities. At certain types of enterprises, it is recommended to carry out such daily work every day as inspecting equipment, taking the main indicators of the supply air masses on the air supply devices and reflecting these data in a special journal. You should also check the system for dirt and damage.
It is also recommended to control the temperature and pressure of the coolant. In the presence of more complex equipment, the electrical connection and the drainage system are monitored. The list of these works can be included in the contract for the maintenance of the ventilation and air conditioning system.
So what are they for? In addition to daily ventilation maintenance work, a weekly check may also be required. It includes the following set of works:
- assessment of belt tension;
- fan control;
- inspect filters for contamination.
If deficiencies were identified during the work, they are immediately eliminated. A note about them is also recorded in a special journal.
In addition to the routine checks on the maintenance of ventilation and air conditioning systems, once a month, quarter and half a year also requires more serious procedures.
- Cleaning the air grilles andanemostats.
- Assessment of the condition of bearings, if necessary, their treatment with lubricating compounds, broaching of attachment points.
- Cleaning the unit's internal chambers and other surfaces;
- Replacing seals.
- Cleaning motorized air valve mechanisms.
- Replacing filters.
The range of technical control work depends on the equipment used. To carry out these works, special equipment for servicing air conditioning systems will already be required. Central units and air handling units are serviced every six months.
The air conditioner control work list includes the following processes:
- Flushing of the main systems: heat exchangers, chambers, supply and exhaust grilles, diffusers, drainage pipeline, evaporator and pump. It is extremely difficult to flush the air conditioner on your own. It is better to entrust this work to professionals. Industrial and domestic air conditioner maintenance companies have special machines that are used to flush these systems.
- Cleaning and replacing air filters.
- Measurement of pressure in the supply and suction units of equipment, assessment of pressure drops on the pump and evaporator.
- Refrigerant charge. These works can be done independently at home. The procedure begins with purging the air conditioning system with nitrogen. This is necessary in order toto dry the entire structure. If the refrigerant is located in the outdoor unit, purge must be carried out not with nitrogen, but with freon. Before charging, be sure to check the strength and tightness of all connections between the indoor and outdoor units. It is better to use nitrogen pressure for this. It is recommended to recharge the air conditioner every two years.
- Checking the operation of the compressor.
- Processing the indoor unit with disinfectants;
- Check the system for freon leaks.
Maintenance of the air conditioner can be carried out independently at home. However, in this case, the list of works will only include cleaning the drainage pipes and filters from contaminants. Other work such as changing filters, purging the system with nitrogen, checking pressure and pressure testing should only be carried out by qualified personnel.
In this article, we discussed in detail why it is necessary to carry out maintenance of ventilation and air conditioning systems. To maintain a good microclimate in industrial and residential premises, it is necessary to ensure high-quality air exchange. With improper or inefficient operation of air conditioning and ventilation systems, this will not be possible. That is why it is so important to carry out preventive inspection and maintenance of these systems on a regular basis.
Maintenance work is best left to professionals. They will be able to carry out all the necessary procedures usingquality equipment. Upon completion of the work, an act of maintenance of ventilation and air conditioning systems will be drawn up, confirming their readiness for further work.